1 potato... 2 potato...

Yesterday I talked about math. I'm going to do it again today too. I already advised you all that math is NOT my strong suit, and apparently, reading comprehension isn't either.

I decided last night at dinner time, that I would be bad, very very bad. I wanted sweet potatoes, and by jeesums, I was GOING to have them! (They just go so nicely with spicy italian sausage!) So, seeing as how I am trying to be "a good little diabetic", even when eating what I really prolly shouldn't, I did what most dutiful diabetics do, I turned to the side of the box for the nutritional facts. Okie, it clearly said there were 6 servings per container, and 26 carbs per serving. Being honest with myself I decided I would most likely eat two servings worth of the much desired sweet potatoes. Yeah, I know, and I repeat, bad, very very bad, but I was just in the MOOD for them! I used the handy insulin dose calculator I am so in love with, and determined I needed 3.5 units of humalog to cover the upcoming carb laden yumminess!

Dinner was DELICIOUS! We had sweet italian sausage, broccoli stir fried in garlic butter with cheese, and of course, sweet potatoes with apples. HEAVEN.

Fast forward two hours later. I am watching T.V, with my fiance and I comment to him: "Wow, those vicodins I took earlier are still kickin my butt, I feel seriously dopey. Who knew that feeling would last so long?" Seeing as how he is obviously so much smarter than me, he replies that I took my vicodin at 1:00 pm, and it is now 7:30, and points out that maybe I should check my blood sugar level. He's always right! I HATE that! Sure enough, my glucose level is 34!?! How does that happen!?! Did my trusty insulin calculator let me down?

Nope, here's what really happened:
On the side of the box, under nutrition facts, as I stated before, it CLEARLY says there are 6 servings per container. Now, on the FRONT of the box (which, I neglected to read until this morning), it also CLEARLY states that the box contains TWO pouches, 3 servings EACH, equalling 6 in the container. As I only made on pouch, I apparently ate only ONE serving, NOT the two that I bolused for.

And once again, I have proven that math is NOT my forte'.

So, before I tell you to "go listen to some good music" I want to share a little info about the artist. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole is one of my absolute all time favorite singers. His voice is so beautiful, and so full of emotion, he was a truly talented man! He was a Hawaiian local, what we here call Kamaʻāina, meaning "child of the land" , or in modern terms, a native Hawaiian. He passed away at the age of 38 due to obesity related complications. So very sad. The Hawaii State flag was flown at half staff on the day of his funeral, and he was the only non-political person to ever lay in state in our capital building. Ten thousand people went to his funural, and thousands were in attendence when his ashes were scattered in the ocean at Mākua Beach on June 12th, 1997. He was locally known as "Bruddah IZ" and the "Hawaiian Supahman". He was the definition of "beloved".

You may recognize his music from numerous movies, but, his most well known song off island is prolly "Somewhere over the Rainbow", featured in 50 first dates, which, by the way, was filmed at the Kualoa Ranch here on Oahu.

You can learn more about Iz here and here.

NOW go listen to some GREAT music!

Somewhere over the Rainbow


In this Life (My favorite song by Iz)


Country Road, Iz style!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Quotable

"Try not, do, or do not" - Yoda

"God is in love with love, so live and love, and that's enough" - Billy Jonas

"Love is the reason"

"The past is but a beginning of a beginning, and all that is, and has been, is but the twilight of the dawn". - H.G. Wells

Sometimes, I'm sassy...

"I came here to chew gum and kick ass. Hmm... I'm all out of gum"

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher

"You'd better put a condom on - if you're gonna act like a dick, you need to dress like one" - HBI member Robin

Around the World

Blog contents © Living the Big D 2010. Blogger Theme by NymFont.