Paradise Lost

Hawaii is beautiful, absolutely stunning. I love living here. However, as they say "all good things must come to an end", and so, our good time here on the Island is drawing to a close soon. We have lived here almost two years and have found that paradise is expensive! Our studio apartment itself costs $695 a month, for a measly 200 square feet! If that! Our electric bill is a stunning $150-200! Please, do NOT get me started about the price of groceries here. Being a diabetic requires at least attempting a healthy diet. It seems the better for you food is, the more it will cost.

After a lot of careful thought we have decided that we will be moving to Seattle WA. I have ALWAYS wanted to live in there! We plan on leaving Hawaii on the 31st of the month, which means, our first full day of our new, non-island life, will be April fools day! I wonder, is that good or bad?  I hate to fly, seriously, not just the normal "I don't like flying", but white knuckled, tears in my eyes, breaking your fingers I'm hanging on so tightly, CAN'T STAND TO FLY.  Wheeee..... it's going to be a fun trip. Last time I flew, I outright cried! LOL. Yes, it's pathetic I know, but true. On our last plane trip, my fiance thought it would be great to have fun with me. As we were landing in Denver, he looks out the window, points outside, and says to me "Wow, I think the tire just flew off !" Just then, the plane started bumping wildly, he gets this look of shock on his face and shouts "Oh DANG, I think it really did!" LOL. Not at the time of course, but now, lol, he really is a funny guy!

So, these last few days we have been busy sorting through things, deciding what we will ship, what we will sell, and what will get tossed, or donated. We sold our mopeds this weekend, and are excited to have gotten enough money to pay first and last months rent, as well as the security deposit  for a new apartment. Of course, that also means we have to walk to work now. Note to self: CHECK BLOOD SUGAR BEFORE WALKING HOME. It's a good thing I keep glucose tablets in my purse. I hit 54 on the way home on Saturday. I of course, didn't even realize it, Joe pointed out to me that it might be a good idea to test as we'd been walking 45 minutes or so, and I hadn't ate much. Lantus is great stuff, right up until you exercise and forget to eat.

Our sister in law is helping us with finding a new place, and a job for Joe. she comes from Edmonds Wa  and still has family and friends there. One of her friends has said we can stay at her place until we find one of our own, which is so awesome. At least we know we have a place to lay our heads the day we get there. I for one, will be exausted after the trip. I've been checking out plane tickets online and it is looking like it will be a LONG trip. It is almost 6 hours travel time from Hawaii to the mainland to begin with, then, unless I want to pay an arm and a leg I'm going to have to make two stops, and will be traveling to WA via  LA and Nevada!?! So, it's a total of almost ten hours plane time, not even counting check in time, security time, and any unforseen delays.

Last time I traveled, I was still very much in denial about my diabetes. I don't remember testing my GL even once, the whole trip! I didn't bring snacks, or stress about eating or drinking, or taking my insulin. I, parden the pun, just flew by the seat of my pants ;) This trip though, I plan on being more mature, and responsible. I will be bringing all the diabetic necessities, ie: needles, inuslin pens, glucose tabs, candy, trail mix, carbs and more. I am going to need to invest in one of those insulin cooling bags to put in my carry-on. I am bringing with me three months worth of insulin and do NOT want to risk ruining it by either keeping it in a checked bag, or not keeping it at the correct temperature. Even worse, OMG, what if they lost my bag!?! Traveling as a diabetic is kind of like traveling with a baby.

24 days. Yep, lots of work still to be done.

Now go listen to some good music!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Powered By Blogger

Total Pageviews

Quotable

"Try not, do, or do not" - Yoda

"God is in love with love, so live and love, and that's enough" - Billy Jonas

"Love is the reason"

"The past is but a beginning of a beginning, and all that is, and has been, is but the twilight of the dawn". - H.G. Wells

Sometimes, I'm sassy...

"I came here to chew gum and kick ass. Hmm... I'm all out of gum"

"Well-behaved women seldom make history" - Laurel Thatcher

"You'd better put a condom on - if you're gonna act like a dick, you need to dress like one" - HBI member Robin

Around the World

Blog contents © Living the Big D 2010. Blogger Theme by NymFont.